[Dailydrool] it's so sad

PM CLINE pmcline at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 07:02:58 PST 2009

Let me start by saying this is my opinion. If you don't like it don't read it but I have the right to write it. Unfortunately I think I will feel better in a sad sort of way after I write it all down.

I had stopped reading the Drool regularly  because I thought it was getting petty with all the criticism and harsh words. I felt guilty because I felt like I was missing out on important news, that someone was hurting, they had lost a beloved pet or family member  and I would not know about it. But I found that when I did open it up to read that  I was skipping as much as I read.  Apparently I am not alone.

The Drool is an open newsletter with any member being allowed to post their issues, be them serious or silly. Why some folks think they have the right to dictate what is written is beyond me. Some days I read bassetese, other days I don't. Heck, I've been known to lapse into that strange language myself from time to time. No one tells me  I have to read it the same as no one tells me I can't write it. It is my right. I've only been reading for 18 or so months but it has changed dramatically from the format that it was when I first joined the group. Not necessarily for good, either

 Unfortunately, we now live in the "United States of the Offended".  We have been given so many rights and freedoms  that we are constantly stepping on someone else's toes.  We do not live in a censored society, but some people apparently think we should.  It is a  sad situation that we have been given so much and some of us want to relinquish those freedoms because feelings get hurt. The alternative is censorship....is that how we want to live?  Do we want to be told what we can read, what we can say?  We are adults, we shouldn't have to be censored. We should be able to  get along.

I think what we have seen with this latest skirmish on the Drool is that if someone accidentally  steps on your toes be an adult and  GET OVER IT, for goodness sake. It was accidental.  Rub your boo-boo and then your life will continue.  However, if that person stomped your foot on purpose then that is a different story. We will all help you stomp back.  Pack mentality maybe, I don't know but we all believe in helping the underdog and helping out where help is needed...it is why we adopt animals and have raffles and fund-raisers.

Bottom line:   Folks, just don't read it if it offends your intellect or sensibilities. It's that simple. Keep your hateful opinions to yourself, if you can't say something nice (ie: in a kind way) don't say it at all. I never saw Sylvie say anything ugly, nothing she said should have hurt any feelings. She has the right to express her opinions as you do and she should not be made to feel like she has to leave when she does voice an opinion. Sylvie is a VALUABLE part of our group. We will not be whole without her. We will miss her greatly. We will also miss everyone who dropped out in her defense.  We are losing their years of expertise with bassets and their vast knowlege.  That  is our loss. We will NOT be better off for their leaving .

Pam Cline