[Dailydrool] Nasty on the drool

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Wed Jan 14 07:16:16 PST 2009

Essie, you're on an AOL email address .... if that was the same address
you're expecting email to go to ... then you've got a huge possibility for
inbound email to be blocked.

I work at an ISP and I deal with blocked messages to aol all the time.
Including messages between family members that in no way would have been
submitted as spam.. but yet AOL still flagged the message and refused to
deliver it.

On the issue of rescues and money.. do we really want this to be hashed out
again?

In just this past week, the NCBR ? posted a hound they had taken in she's in
need of 2500 in surgery to correct a back leg and hips? ... this hound was
flown by a volunteer ... flown!!  If everyone thought gas was so high.. try
plane fuel..   There has been other posts in the past month, a new rescue
that put up a "First Giving" page.. and recall they posted photo copies of
the vet bills.. are those vet bills false?  When any of us takes our hounds
to the vet for all shots, oh and for de-man-ifying or de-girl-ifying the
hound, do we get out the door for less than 100?

Not to mention that any 503c charity has to keep books and records to hand
the gov't ... there are very very very few that I've heard of that actually
have "paid" positions (actually I've only heard of TWO rescues)... any 503c
should have books that an accountant can pour through to find how the rescue
barely scrapes by ... but this seems to escape those who question "where
does 250 for that younger dog go" or why only 150 for an 8 year old hound...
didn't that 8 year old have lots more done?

And even if the hound is "healthy" ... they still have to get shots .. shots
might only be 20 bucks.. but there's the Vetman's fee 25 to 50 bucks, and if
there's anything else they do... I know my local rescue also does dentals..
DENTALS !!! That's 200 a pop easy!

So the money issue... really.. beating a dead horse..

Now to the point of Rescue Denials.. I've never heard of a rescue going out
of its way to deny someone without cause.  Not that it couldn't happen.. but
I've never heard the case made that was so blindingly clear that there was
someone in a rescue that said "don't adopt to this person cause they have
red hair" ... or "they speak funny" or any other of a million reasons the
could make up..

And even if *they* did.. its not a company that you can sue to get the
rights to adopt a hound from ... ie rights of refusal ... no matter how
petty they might have been.. the person that wants to adopt pretty much
always has options.. *unless there is legal recourse sought like someone
who's an animal abuser and the rescue goes and gets court orders against
that person ... but that's another side side issue ... AND PLEASE I have no
idea why you may have been denied ...

It comes down not to who will get you what you want.. but will they allow an
animal that they have taken responsibility for.. be adopted out to someone.
Its a big difference between anyone regardless of who buying something, and
giving up responsibility for something you've worked hard to protect....

I know that when I die, if I have three hounds like I do now, that I want to
make sure they are taken care of.. I would turn in my grave to know they go
to someone that *I* wouldn't consider worthy.. and I might just be the type
to not like someone for their hair color.. but if I could see fault in
others for *my* hounds.. why can't people understand that rescues have the
same issue.. they have spent time on some of these hounds, or time working
resources or trying to drum up support, and everything else.. they may just
not want to let them go..

Anyway.. very few rescues could really be faulted for denials.. I worried
*I* would be denied when I went to adopt... but thankfully I wasn't.. and
then my helping with rescue let them get to know me more.. and it didn't
scare them off either! LOL ... but really.. money is one thing.. its
anonymous, even the richest man on earth could give millions to a rescue..
but if they aren't worth having a hound.. I'd still deny them.. so money
isn't everything..

and even then.. if the person had the money they could just buy what they
wanted .... or in the case of a rescue hound.. shelters have them all over..
and the adoption fee at a shelter is minimal to say the least.. only thing
smaller than shelter adoption fees is the amount of background checking they
do before handing over an animal to the adopter.

Please don't' misconstrue this as an attack... its mostly just a defense of
the issues.. unless we were each other, and unless we were in those
positions, we'd have no way to fully say and or explain what happened.. and
its at that point we all can be happy that we have something ... and no
disrespect to anyone that has lost their hound, as we know and share in
their pain every day we look at our own, or the next time we loose what we
have.. and so goes the call like others.. to have all of us get along.

I'm sorry people feel slighted ... I'm sorry that we all have opinions ....
but we have to respect our differences rather than beating people about the
head and shoulders for them.. and I'm sorry I have to post like this ... but
it seems every once in a while someone does ... just to make sure the issues
aren't one sided.

-Robert