[Dailydrool] Humphrey Houdini's Great Escape

rebecca lando rebecca.lando at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 08:14:13 PST 2009

Humphrey, my boyfriend and I live on the 4th floor of a walk-up apartment
building. Besides the front door to our apartment, there are four flights of
stairs and two heavy building doors between our apartment and the streets of
New York. The building doors open only with a key or by buzzer. This is a
very good thing, as the barbeque joint on the corner loves Humphrey and
gives him pulled pork and pulled chicken every time he comes by (which he
tries to do almost hourly). We often joke that if Humphrey were to ever
escape, he'd run right to Brother Jimmy's for his daily dose of protein.

Last night the boyfriend and I are happily racing each other through a
sixpack of Southern Tier IPA and watching GRAN TORINO. Suddenly, my phone
rings. It's Mana and Mohammad, our neighbors on the 2nd floor. They own a
goofy Boston Terrier puppy named Louie. Louie and Humphrey are best friends
and we get the boyz together for playdates a few times a week. But 11PM on a
Tuesday? That seemed kind of late.

"Do you know where Humphrey is?" Mana asks.
"Uh..." I say. I look around. He's not in his armchair; he's not in his bed
on the floor; he's not in the hallway, or our bedroom.

He's in their apartment.

Somehow, Humphrey got out of our apartment without our noticing. According
to Mana and Mo, when they came home, Humphrey greeted them in the building's
entry hall and tried to squeeze by them when they opened the door. Luckily,
they caught him by the ample scruff of his neck, and lured him into their
apartment with treats before he could escape to Brother Jimmy's. We're lucky
he was found by Mana and Mo, and not one of the evil, grumpy neighbors who
tried many times last year to have the City impound Humphrey because he had
separation anxiety and would bark. I don't doubt for an instant that another
neighbor would have simply let him out into the street, in 5 degree weather,
at 11 o'clock at night.

Drool to all in need.

-Rebecca, Kit, and Humphrey the BBQ-Loving Escape Artist