[Dailydrool] Humphreys great escape...

ali-d-black ali808 at verizon.net
Wed Jan 14 12:01:05 PST 2009

I was totally riveted to Humphrey's tale, imagining the Streets of New York City and a basset named Humphrey scheming to get some of that  delicious BBQ!  That's the stuff that makes this list soooooooooo special to me.

I also received a similar phone call several hot Texas summers ago, "Are you the lady with the basset hound and the rottweiler?"   "Well yes, but how did you get my phone number?" I replied some what baffled at the phone call and what was this all about? It finally dawned on me.... when he said they were in his back yard. I panicked "OMG can you hold them for me?" "It shouldn't be a problem lady the bassets right here at my back door eating the CAT food!"

I ran out the front door in a complete panic, oh yeah might need a leash, only to find the Rottie Joe now ATB:-(
already coming towards the house very sheepishly, and found his partner in crime sniffing around in the neighbors     (quite a ways away ) yard like nothing ever happened.

I learned a valuable lesson that day and now I always double check to see if the clip is on the gate latch, the Rottie used to open it and take himself for a walk.  Thanks to the drool I know now how devastating it could be if one of my basset hounds were to get out and follow there instincts. ( that's not to say they haven't tried again!!)

Personally I would love to hear more stories of the lighter side of having a basset escape artist and the many adventures that comes from being owned by them.

Ali
Cody and Elliot and Joe ATB