[Dailydrool] Escape (Missing) Basset

Richlyn Roach barmolina at wildblue.net
Wed Jan 14 17:24:24 PST 2009

The thread on escape Bassets reminded me of my first Basset, Critter.  I lived in Australia for several years and brought Critter home to Colorado with me.  When I first joined the Daily Drool and learned about OEBE's I knew exactly what they were---Critter would have been a charter member.
One summer we went on a horse pack trip in the Colo mountains and of course Critter went with us.  On the last day of a week trip, Critter got on a scent and before we noticed, he was gone.  We backtracked, we called, we went back the next day, we left food and coats where we had last seen him, and then checked those daily, etc.  I was destroyed!  I put an ad in the paper offering a reward, knowing full well it was useless.  What do you know, I got a call.  He had been found by some campers who lived about 60 miles from where we lived.  I jumped in the car, crying most of the way there, so happy he was OK, anticipating our reunion....
When I went to the back yard where he was, he was leaning on the gate, martini in one paw, cigar in the other, a look of total disdain on his face, that clearly said, "So what took you so long".