[Dailydrool] Old folks home

Riche Churchill buglr at blomand.net
Wed Jan 14 20:14:53 PST 2009

Ethel Basset is getting old. How old, we've no idea, as we guessed at
her age when pulling her from local high-kill shelter. We thought maybe
4, so now would be maybe 9... or 10, or 11, or? In any case, is showing
beginning signs of senility. I know there's med for that, but she's not
that far along -- although my little terrier would not agree. His wire
crate is medium size, not really big enough for a Basset, and it's used
only at feeding time, occasional naps or when small two-leggers visit.
But now Ethel has decided it is hers whenever she's in the mood and she
doesn't care in the slightest (or even notice) that a small dog is
already inside. Pitiful yelps alert us to the fact that he has been
squashed at the back of the crate. We have to hold Ethel's head (she
gets snappy if a dog jostles her) so he can leap over her and get out.

Either her hearing is about gone or she has forgotten her name and she
sleeps a lot more now, and prefers out-of-the-way spots or crates. The
latter is odd because she never had a crate of her own or needed one.

Inasmuch as I have never had a dog develop Old Timer's Disease, despite
having had many dogs in my lifetime and most have lived to age 14 and
one to nearly 17, I'm interested in hearing from people who have had
experience with this. Should I go ahead and start meds? Do they just
"help" or do they slow down the deterioration and therefore I shouldn't
wait?

Riche
www.Bassethoundmagazine.com