[Dailydrool] posting for a member AM [am at pute.freeserve.co.uk]

Sandy Gaston sandy at animalnature.com
Wed Jan 14 20:57:46 PST 2009

From: AM [mailto:am at pute.freeserve.co.uk]
Sent: 14 January 2009 21:56
To: 'dailydrool at dailydrool.org'
Subject: UK Basset Hounds are going to be changing for ever!

Happy New Year to all first!

And now to reason for posting;

You probably all already know about this but on the news today I heard the
kennel club has changed breed standards ( See here
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2223 ) in a bid to encourage healthier
happier dogs. The Basset Hound breed standard has changed more than any
other dog in the hound group ( See here
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2227 )and actually more than most dogs!

>From what I can tell it's reactionary to a programme made earlier this year
which investigated unhealthy breeding practice -
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7620507.stm in which the kennel club
participated. They were interviewed as part of the programme but later
complained it was edited out of context. Since then, the BBC have tried to
put conditions on the kennel club to withdraw certain breeds from the show
(Don't know which) if they were to continue televising CRUFTS as contracted.
They couldn't agree so the BBC aren't covering it ( See here
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=2187
<http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=2187&d=23&h=244&f=3>
&d=23&h=244&f=3 ) see more about it here
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/4229859/Kennel-Club-changes-br
eeding-rules-after-BBC-suspends-Crufts.html  and supposedly the whole story
here ~
http://www.dogmagazine.net/archives/1561/the-kennel-club-crufts-and-the-bbc-
the-whole-story/

Reading a little further also it seems according to this BBC page bassets
were in the Crufts disputed list ~ http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7779686.stm
and there's more on the subject matter here.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/3022373/Top-breeder-says-Kennel-Club-
is-in-denial-over--deformed-dogs.html

Sounds like bassets will have much smaller ears and hardly any wrinkles - if
any that is in future generations.this doesn't fit with our experience of
bassets - we've not had any problems because of extra skin or their big ears
but we've had a terrible experience with the very painful problems and in
our first basset's case death that came with spinal disc prolapsed due to
their very long backs. And yet this doesn't feature obviously that I can see
in the new standards ~ which supposedly focus on health and happiness of the
dog.

Anyway - wondering what everyone thinks this might mean for the breed and
how it might affect breeding across the pond?

Bests

Clan of Mug and Mad (April Drool !)