[Dailydrool] UK breed standards and background - long

sally king sally.king at nqe.com
Thu Jan 15 06:01:43 PST 2009

Menzie said <<I was reading the news, and came across this article from the U.K.  Is
this true - breeders are being forced to alter the "look" of certain
breeds, including basset hounds? >>

This is a very complex thing which has been going on in the UK since last year.
A BBC documentary claimed many resposnsible UK breeders, by emphasising certain traits in a breed, were causing suffering because those traits led to various issues such as breathing, breeding and brain problems.  It also said breeders were coupling fathers and daughters, mothers and sons etc to achieve the desired 'look'. As the BBC is a trusted source here, the viewing public accepted these claims.

The Kennel Club did not handle the claims well. It went on to the back foot and produced some very defensive material, refusing to even consider the points raised.

Of course, this immediately reinforced people's belief in the BBC version of events.

Our biggest dog rescue charity, The Dogs Trust, and its main sponsor Pedigree Dog Food announced they could not sponsor or support Crufts unless these points were addressed. The BBC which is a major sponsor of Crufts has also refused to sponsor or televise this year's event. This means a huge funancial loss for the KC.

This latest announcement from the KC is its attempt to meet the critisism.

I am not giving an opinion as to whether I think any of them are right or wrong. I am just explaining what has been going on.

Here is the link for new breed standard for Bassets   http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2227

The KC statement can be found here http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2223 and
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2234/23/5/3

Sally, with Rolph and CLara, UK

This email has been scanned for viruses and other threats
using Newsquest's Ironport email filters

This e-mail, including any attachment, is private and
confidential.
It should not be read, copied, disclosed or otherwise used by
any person other than the intended recipient(s).
If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately.
Newsquest reserves the right to monitor e-mails in
accordance with the Telecommunications (Lawful Business
Practice)
(Interception of Communications) Regulations 2000.

Newsquest Media Group Limited.
Registered in England, number 3105111 .  Registered office:
58 Church Street, Weybridge, Surrey KT13 8DP