[Dailydrool] Bassets and Doxies

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Jan 15 11:15:36 PST 2009

Many years ago, we (me, my DH, 2 kids and 2 bassets) moved into our current
house and lived with my parents.  The house is a huge old farm house with
more than enough space for us all to live peaceably and comfortably.  My
parents had a mini-doxie at the time.  She was great with my kids and she
and the bassets got along fine.  However, she never forgave me for bringing
the two bassets into her domain and every time I got out of the car in which
I had transported the bassets, she would come out and nip me on the heels.
She was "tightly wound", shall we say, and when my kids' friends came over,
she had to be restrained so she wouldn't nip at them.  She simply did not
take kindly to *anyone* coming into her house - outside was fine, but not
inside.

My parents spent part of the year in Texas back then and as Ginger got old,
she didn't like to travel and didn't tolerate the summer heat in Texas so
she stayed home with us.  When my parents were gone, she loved me - and
stuck to me like glue.  But she always punished me for a week after they
left - puddles and poops in the house, barking/yipping at odd hours, etc.
One evening, as I was "locking up" for the night (we have 8 outside doors!),
I was walking through our den and saw a dark spot on the floor.  I was in my
jammies and bare feet - walked over to turn on a light, with my toes about
an inch from the spot on the floor, saying all sorts of bad words about
Ginger pooping on the floor - turned on the light and the "spot" moved - it
was  BAT!  I carefully backed away from it and put a wastebasket over it.
Got DH out of bed - he was no help - so I called "Bat Man" - really!  I
called the sheriff's department and since the bat was not acting normal (on
the floor, alive but not moving) they gave me the number of an animal
control officer who came out at midnight that night and took the bat.  Yep -
it was rabid - and my toes were only an inch away!

Another time, one of the kids accidently let a chipmunk into the house.  The
mini-doxie and my two bassets literally tore my house apart chasing that
critter.  Furniture tipped over, drapes ripped off the walls, carpeting tore
up - we opened all eight doors and the little guy ran out - but so did the
dogs - so then we had to corral them.  What a mess!

I was sad when Ginger went to the Bridge, but they are too "terrier-like"
for me - besides, I already have one terrier - my DH!

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com