[Dailydrool] Bassets and Doxies

Kelly Epley KEpley at waddell.com
Thu Jan 15 07:57:52 PST 2009

I to have 2 bassets and a doxie.  The doxie, Snickers is a short haired
sliver dapple.  The oldest of the dogs and the 4 legged pack leader.  He
is very tenacious and has no idea that he is small.  I got my first
basset 5 years ago, he picked me.  Although I hate to admit it, he came
from a pet store before I knew better.  I walked in and looked at the
dogs, locked eyes with a sausage with paws that began howling.  He
followed me with his eyes while I shopped and continued to howl.  Before
leaving I went back to the dogs, he was still howling.  I asked the
clerk to let me hold him.  He literally jumped into my arms, covered my
face in slobber and finally stopped howling.  I was so smitten.  He had
to stay in his cage while the paper work was completed, again howling
until he was in my arms again.  As a buppy Drake provided me with many
hours of laughs.  He would consistently trip up the stairs and his paws
were very uncoordinated.  He is also an escape artist.  One of the most
comical things I've seen is when Snickers (doxie) attempts to sneak out
of the yard, Drake would put a big paw on his head or back to keep him
in, because he couldn't go too.  I have also seen Snickers get partially
through the gate only to have Drake pull him back in by his tail.  With
every escape attempt, I also get an audible warning.  Drake cries like
his leg has been ripped off.  I feel in love with this boys antics and
zest for life.  Then confirmed my love of the breed by fostering.

Kelly Epley

Waddell & Reed

Senior Data Analyst | MSD - Data Management

6301 Glenwood, Overland Park, KS - 66202

(913) 236-1699 | KEpley at waddell.com

"This email is intended to be reviewed by only the intended recipient
 and may contain information that is privileged and/or confidential.
 any review, use, dissemination, disclosure or copying of this email
 and its attachments, if any, is strictly prohibited.  If you have
 received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by
 return email and delete this email from your system."