[Dailydrool] Vesitbular Syndrome and Canine Stroke

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Jan 15 10:53:32 PST 2009

This is simply my understanding of vestibular syndrome and canine stroke -
certainly not a vet's perspective but - here goes:

Vestibular syndrome (some call it peripheral, geriatric or idiopathic
vestibular disease) is caused by inflammation of the nerves connecting the
inner ear to the brain, specifically the cerebellum where balance and
spacial orientation are controlled.  If you have ever had an inner ear
infection, it is very similar.  The symptoms also are similar:  loss of
balance, nausea, loss of appetite, loss of fine motor skills necessary for
eating and drinking, and rhythmic eye movements.  I don't think there is a
specific treatment, other than to hand feed and keep the dog hydryated while
the symptoms are present.  Most dogs recover within 3 weeks or so.

Canine stroke is caused by a disruption in the blood flow to the brain due
to a clot or aneurysm.  The symptoms include: head tilt, turning the wrong
way when called, eating out of one side of the food bowl, loss of balance,
lethargy, blindness, loss of bladder and bowel control, sudden behavioral
changes.  All symptoms may not be present in all dogs.  Strokes can only be
definitively diagnosed by CT Scan or MRI which can assess blood flow to the
brain.  Treatment may be supportive, as with CVD, or may include medications
depending on the reason for the stroke (clot etc.)
It appears to me that although some of the symptoms are similar, there are
some subtle differences.  I know if one of my dogs exhibited these symptoms,
I would be headed to the vet and the nearest MRI.  In fact, my vet is
seriously considering adding an MRI to his "arsenal" of diagnostic equipment
- and I think we have probably paid for a good chunk of it over the past 15
years or so.

Here are a couple of sites that may be helpful.
http://www.dog-health-guide.org/dogstroke.html

http://www.vetinfo.com/dencyclopedia/devestib.html

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com