[Dailydrool] (no subject)

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Thu Jan 15 11:10:11 PST 2009

<<With the basset, they are thinking of making the ears shorter, making them leaner and  making the legs longer I believe.>>

If they want an example of their new, ideal basset, perhaps they'd like a picture of our Jane. She is a puppy mill basset: too tall, beagle-short ears, very thin. It's what we call, here in America, "bad breeding." I wouldn't take it as the ideal for any dog, much less a basset. But there are plenty such hounds out there, due to the puppy mills.

<<It also said breeders were coupling fathers and
daughters, mothers and sons etc to achieve the desired 'look'.>>

According to a show I saw on PBS, they call this "line breeding." It is common, to keep the recessive traits that make up a breed showing up in the hounds. I'm sure some breeders can address this issue.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Bassets