[Dailydrool] New UK Basset breed standard

GGrf232 at aol.com GGrf232 at aol.com
Thu Jan 15 12:24:19 PST 2009

A lot of rubbish has been spoken and written (not on  the Daily Drool I
hasten to add) about the changes being made to the UK Basset  Breed Standard. As
far as I can see the only really important change; and it is  relatively minor;
is that the 'standard' hound should be Fit for Purpose; i.e.  that it should
be able to run freely and vigorously (WHAT!!!) Bearing in mind  some of the
specimens seen around the show rings this is not before time. The  new standard
also requires that skin wrinkling should be moderate and in view of  the skin
problems seen in many Bassets this has got to be a good  thing.
NO changes to the temperament requirement; as if they  would dare; and all in
all the changes are probably all for the good of the  breed.

Personally within reason I couldn't care less about  the Standard, my passion
is Basset Welfare and Rescue and if a hound in need  looks something like a
Basset, bring it on it will be rehomed. If it doesn't  then I know someone else
who will take it over.

Terry

Wilbarston         England