[Dailydrool] nails and chap stick

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 13:28:31 PST 2009

There is a product called Mushers Wax- totally safe for the hounds and meant to be used to coat their pads.
Helps those that are weaker in their footing get better traction inside the house on wood and tile floors too! Safe for hound and home.
You can goodsearch it ( and earn a penny for rescue at the same time!).
As for nails- if you have to go solo- lie basset down on it's side- their head to the left. Sit down so your butt is against their back and your legs go across their hips and neck. Use a towel to protect your thigh if you are worried about biting. Your legs give you the means of holding down the beast...errr...basset and two free hands to do the deed. Have clippers, tissues, flashlight or booklight and superglue ready beforehand. Superglue works great to stop the bleeding- if it's bad stick a tissue on top and when it's dried pull off the extra- the rest will wear off in time. Black nails- all I can offer is that you utter a quick prayer and then cut.
I did nails like that for years- I am alpha in this house where the bassets are concerned- so the daddy slave may have more hand strength- but is a chicken when it comes to this- and he doesn't have the needed 'clout' either LOL!
I started using a dremel a while back- and it is sooo much easier. Takes a little longer-but no blood. I bought a cheaper brand on ebay and use the dremel tip and sanding drum. I can set the speed to anything I like and it works great. I wish I'd have tried the dremel years ago!
droolies, Angelika, Ms.Brandy and Elvis too!