[Dailydrool] Doesn't everyone do this????

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Thu Jan 15 18:23:03 PST 2009

I was the one who started everything basset in this household. When my elderly and ill dad wanted a dog, I encouraged him to get a basset to fulfill a dream of his to own one. When Tri-State needed foster homes, I asked my husband if we could take in a foster (of course we weren't going to keep him!). When Bel became so attached to me that he couldn't leave, I had the "why don't we keep him?" conversation with Drew.

Drew however, beat me all out when he insisted that we buy a van so we could transport the hounds. Back then, Abner's back wasn't bad, but it was a real blessing to have the van once we couldn't lift him and had to crate him. A ramp and a crate solved all our problems.

If we ever do get to move out of NJ, we're planning on buying a ranch-style house (or rancher as they seem to call them in PA). It has to have easy access for Abner, hard floors for all the bassets, and no carpets at all because some of them (who shall remain nameless) are not good about always doing their business outside. With such requirements, is it any wonder that we haven't moved yet?

Yeah, we spoil them. Because both boys have allergies, I made dog treats. It not only saves money; they all like them better than most of the treats I can buy.

You mean some people don't treat their dogs like this? Shame on them. The Dashing Bassets are perfectly happy living like this--and so are their humans.

So some people think we're crazy. There are worse ways to be crazy.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the very spoiled Dashing Bassets