[Dailydrool] Long haired bassets

Sally King sallyemking at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 16 02:29:32 PST 2009

Rolph is a long haired basset. Very long haired. You could not look at him and think he was anything else. As someone who knew nothing about the breed when I adopted him, I assumed he had a touch of spaniel in him, but I was quickly assured by Droolers of Rolph's bassetness.
  I can only talk of the UK heritage, but as I understand it from many experienced owners, breeders and even a basset show judge, the breed used to have both short and rough coats.
  When the Kennel Club created the breed standard, rough coats were excluded. This led to a cull of many long-haired dogs.
  However, the genes are still there and every now and then a long-coated pup like Rolph is born. I understand that even 20 years ago champion breeders here would see one or two of them in most litters.
  There was a movement around 10 years ago in the UK to get the KC to accept long-haired dogs. The judge told me that are often "very well put together", the KC declined the request.
  It is said that Princess, later Queen, Alexandra had a basset pack and kept both rough and smooth coated dogs. Most of the long-hairs that appear in the UK can, apparently, be traced back to that pack (assuming you know their pedigree!).

  I know I post far too many links to pictures of my dogs, but for those of you who have never seen a long-haired basset, or would like to see His Naughtiness, click here: http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb25/Fitzspaniel/?action=view&current=rolphcrufts.jpg

  http://s210.photobucket.com/albums/bb25/Fitzspaniel/Possibles/?action=view&current=eagerRollph.jpg

  Sally, with Hairy Rolph and Smooth Clara, UK