[Dailydrool] Nail Trimming

Barbara Slater sahara.west at att.net
Fri Jan 16 08:22:48 PST 2009

I tried many different techniques to trim Frances (Darling ATB) &
Frazier's nails.  I had never really done it before and was terrified
of accidentally cutting too close.  Although these sessions
usually involved a bit of a struggle, I accomplished the task
without any bleeding.  Of course (you know what's coming) until
one particularly unwanted clipping when I cut too far on Frances.
She forgave me right away, but after that I really was afraid to
attempt it . . . I'm such a wimp.  So we started having it done by
our Vet.  As you probably all have experienced, they behaved
stellar for the Vet.  No struggle, no wiggle, no whining . . . go
figure.

As time went by, the clippings went from being included in the
office visit to a nominal fee, to a more substantial fee and I
decided that I needed to brave up & try it again at home.  It was
actually Frances (Precious ATB) who created the (sort of) no fuss
clipping method.  She was my belly rub girl (floozy girl, peep
show baby), she loved to drop & roll at any time for a belly rub.
Well when I came close with the clipper hidden, she
automatically dropped & rolled into the belly rub position.  Of
course I gave a brief belly rub during which I sat down, placing my
legs on either side of her, V-shaped with her head at my feet and
her tail . . . well you know where.  I clamped around her like a
vise-grip and with all fours in the air, I commenced to clip nails.
She amazingly laid still & didn't struggle, within minutes all 4
paws were done and she was up dancing around in that "I'm so
pretty" style.

Needless to say, I was ecstatic.  Frazier of course was watching
this process and so when it became his turn, we had a bit of a
chase until I got him into position.  But now it is the only method
I use and it works great every time.

We send healing, soothing drool to all in need and pray for the
comfort of everyone in this extremely cold weather (Yes, I saw a
chilly 66 degrees reported for Key West . . . bundle up).

Barb (Shivering in Ohio), Frances (Angel Dumpling ATB) &
Frazier (I do the "Thank goodness, I'm free" dance.)
http://www.dogster.com/dogs/143457