[Dailydrool] two extremes in one week!

froggie0310 at bellsouth.net froggie0310 at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 16 17:14:49 PST 2009

Wednesday Bluegrass Basset Rescue picked up a 3 mo old  10 pound puppy who had been found starving as a stray--so the family, not wanting to overwhelm her system, only fed her 1/2 a cup of food twice a day.  Her little bones stuck out everywhere!!  Today I picked up a gorgeous basset boy with Musicland bassets all over his pedigree (and his great-great grandfather is MY Murphy's grandfather--Ch. Hiflite Briarcrest Extra Man ROM.)  He had not lacked for any meals and tips the scales at a whopping 78 pounds, about 25 lbs of which is fat.  Joshua calls him Beluga.  (Family gave him up because they just moved to a 2 story house with basement and said he couldn't go up and down the stairs, so their vet--who apparently never told them he was obese--suggested they call rescue and re-home him rather than take the weight off the poor thing.)  **sigh**  He is a dream dog as far as temperament and behavior.  We'll get him slimmed down in no time.  I hope!!!