[Dailydrool] Update on Fred (Winnifred) the beagle

Karrie Kuecker wandereroftheworld at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 19:59:31 PST 2009

I just got a message from Fred (Winnifred)'s momma. She said she visited
Fred, and she's looking good, but really worn out! She has to stay at the
vetspital overnight, but the vet is "cautiously optimistic" that she'll make
a full recovery! They said as long as her glucose level stays good for the
next 14 hrs. she should pull through fine. I believe they also are checking
out her liver as well. Apparently the liver damage can show up later, but
the immediate issue is the low glucose levels.

Apparently the time elapse from when she actually ate the gum until her mom
got her to the vetspital was only 20 mins. so by the time they induced
vomiting and pumped her stomach, they got most, if not all, the gum out. My
friend said they literally grabbed Fred, and took her back to the room and
were working on her immediately, and when she asked "so, how bad is this,
really?" The office lady said she'd get the vet tech. Instead, the vet,
himself, walked out and talked to her. He said that 2-3 pieces of the gum
was enough to kill Winnifred, who weighs about 25 lbs!! I knew Xylitol was
bad, but I didn't realize how letal it was!

Fred's momma says thanks to everyone for the prayers and good thoughts, and
thanks to all the houndies for the drool! She'd like a little more for the
next few hrs. but it looks like the drool has helped a whole lot so far!

Please folks, spread the news of just how bad Xylitol is for dogs far &
wide! It's a shame there's no gov't. warning on this stuff!!

--
-Karrie, momma to Joey, Aunty to Checkers & Crispin (wb)

Joey's dogster page: http://www.dogster.com/dogs/637473