[Dailydrool] A Line Breeding Question

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Sat Jan 17 11:20:32 PST 2009

*Froggie asked:*

*His paternal grandmother has one champion listed not only as HER own
grandfather on her mother's side, but also her great-grandfather on her
father's sides (both paternal AND maternal), and her great-great-grandfather
on her mother's sides (paternal and maternal.)  This same sire is also
listed on this dog's mother's side, going back as far as great-great
grandfather on the paternal side.*

Okay – this is going to get complicated but I will try to explain – yes,
this is a form of line breeding and everything is pretty much in what I
would consider the *safe zone* except maybe the doubling up of the
great-great-grandfather of his paternal grandmother.  However, without
physically looking at the pedigree, I can’t really envision it, since I
don’t know the dogs.  That doubling up would have occurred (using Norm as a
sample dog at age 1 ½ now and backtracking) six generations back and  at the
rate we breed that would be over 20 years ago.  The kennel you mentioned in
your previous post produced a lot of nice dogs and they are in many
pedigrees of current show dogs.  The owner of the kennel is now very old (I
think she is still alive) and no longer breeding bassets.  I don’t know if
someone has taken over her kennel/dogs but I don’t think so.

*And the breeder of this boy wasn't at all interested to know that rescue
now had him.  So much for a great pedigree and a "reputable" breeder (which
I'm guessing she isn't...)*

If the breeder wasn’t interested that he is in rescue and didn’t take him
back, then I would not consider her reputable – by my standards.  I know
that we would certainly come and get him if he was of our breeding, but we
work really hard to avoid being in that situation.

*So that leads me to another question--how does a breeder get access to such
great lineage without being a show breeder?*

Good question and I am not sure I have a good answer, but there are a couple
of possibilities, some of which would be more evident by looking at the
pedigree.  It is important to remember that a contract is only as good as
the people who sign it.  That is why it is so important, as a breeder, to
thoroughly get to know your puppy buyers and keep in touch with them on a
regular basis throughout the life of the dog.  I am not sure when AKC
started having limited registrations, but one possibility is that a puppy
was sold with an agreement to spay/neuter on a regular registration and the
purchaser did not spay/neuter per the contract and the dog was bred.
Another possibility is that a puppy was sold as a show puppy to someone new
in showing, maybe they finished the dog (would still have the original
kennel name) and then they indiscriminately bred the dog.

So how do we, as breeders prevent this from happening to us (and I am
speaking *us* personally)??  We co-own any dog that we sell as a show dog
and retain all breeding decisions, according to our contract.  As a result
of the co-ownership, any puppies resulting from the breeding of that dog
must have our signatures for them to be registered.  Also, we make a point
to physically see these dogs on a regular basis.  All pet puppies are sold
on a spay/neuter contract, micro-chipped to us (we are just starting this)
and registered to us (with the new AKC rules, we do this so our kennel name
cannot be removed from the registration), then a limited registration
(including our kennel name) is transferred to the new owner upon
veterinarian statement of spay/neuter.   Some breeders spay/neuter their
puppies very young before they are placed in pet homes – we are not
comfortable with that very early spay/neuter procedure, so we don’t do that.

I hope this helps answer the questions and doesn’t make it clear as mud.