[Dailydrool] 10month old messing in crate?

Ashley Collard acollard at charter.net
Sat Jan 17 11:42:24 PST 2009

Hi fellow droolers. We are in need of some help. We adopted a 5-6 month old
basset from a shelter about 4 months ago. Hes a great boy except hes messing
in his crate. We are really stumped by this as he is potty trained and will
not go in the house. We have never been able to leave bedding in his crate
as he will pee on it. I think it may have to do with the 'breeder' who
raised him (and was the one who dumped him at the shelter). When we brought
him home we crate trained him making a point to have him in the crate when
he couldnt be under direct supervision. We always made sure he wasnt in his
crate for long periods (our work schedules permit one of us to always be
home). Hes still a chewer so he is crated when I cant watch him during the
day. He never goes in his crate then. However, at night he will pee and THEN
cry to go out. I think he may be dreaming about peeing, peeing and then
waking up?? The other issues is that sometimes he will have diarrhea in his
crate as soon as he hears the car pull in. Today we got out of the car and
came directly inside. He had JUST pooped. I dont blame him becaue when its
diarrhea you just cant hold it! However, he had plenty of time to go before
we left and we werent gone very long. This is also a reaccurring thing.
We've tried changing his food (slowly to not cause stomach upset), weve
removed all rawhide, he doesnt get treats (until we figure out if its a food
issue) and the backyard is covered in snow so he isnt eating anything out
there. He hates the cold so he goes potty and comes straight in.
The crate is just his size, not overly large. Hes always let outside during
the day with plenty of opportunities to potty, hes let out before bed and
weve started restricting his water intake prior bedtime so hes less likely
to pee on himself.

I wanted to first see if you wonderful basset owners had any ideas and his
next stop will be another trip to the vet to see if its medical!