[Dailydrool] Good old Bassets

julie h jules56pt at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 20 11:18:27 PST 2009

Sometimes I think I'm nuts to have four bassets under one roof with all the drool and hair and pieces of dog food all over the kitchen floor.  The Dh and I got into it yesterday because of the hair.  I don't think it would matter if I swept or vacumed five times a day, there would still be hair on the floor.  I'm sure we could cut down on it some but it is still going to be there and I don't obsess about it anymore. Apparently I have been remiss.  I think maybe we need a new floor master so to speak.  We'll see how that goes.

I also found out yesterday that Maggie has very intense separation anxiety when I leave.  Son #2 says she runs to him, talks to him and follows him where ever he goes.  I didn't know about it.  She has become attached to me when I'm home and Ninja spends a lot of time pouting but I didn't realize we were joined at the hip.  Right now, she is sleeping on the couch on my foot.  Shelby is next to her.  She can get her front half up if someone pushes the back half up.  Maggie and Shelby get along and can share the same space.  Not so with the other two.  They miss no opportunity to fuss at her.   She just calmly walks by and ignores it all.  You would never know she is thirteen by looks or by actions.

There is a little snow on the ground today.  Just enough to make things slick when it starts to melt.  We haven't had a real snow yet this winter, just ice.  the girls and I will take the snow any day over the ice.  I was afraid Shelby would have trouble because she is so low to the ground.  She just takes everything in stride and just gets on with it.  She even tells us now when she wants things.  If the water bowl is low she barks.  If she wants a pet she barks.  It is really cute that she isn't quite so shy any more.  Right now she is dreaming under the froggie blanket wishing dinner time were closer.

We are all taking it easy here today.  Mom didn't have to work so the houndage is very happy.  The Mom is too.  The good old Bassets are warm and lazy this afternoon.

Drool and snooters from Illinois.

Ninja, Marley. Maggie, and Shelby the foster