[Dailydrool] Kelvin's ears and herd update

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Tue Jan 20 13:19:52 PST 2009

Well, I'm not sure when this is going to go out as we have no internet
service today.  The entire area has been down since early this morning
and we have no information on why.  Our cell service went out yesterday
and is still out today, same for the adjoining counties.  Isn't
technology wonderful??

Tuesday 1/20/09
Anyway, Kelvin had his recheck on the ears today.  The ulcers are mostly
gone but the vet wanted to pack them again just to be on the safe side
since there is still some irritation.  We also had a conversation about
his gas problem, his gut is always talking and on some days it's so bad
I'm on the lookout for signs of bloat because Kelvin will not eat until
it passes.  This is even with beano and gas-x on board so it's
concerning.  We've decided to switch him over to Tesla's allergy food,
we've been debating this since he came in but didn't want him to get
stuck with a food that may not help him continue to gain weight.  So as
of this evening we are doing a cold switch, no slow switch of foods
since we are worried the other stuff is going to cause problems that
could give bad results.  I did this with Tesla and she did so much
better after just one day and her system was far worse off than his.  So
he'll be on duck/potato to see if it works.
He did gain a pound so he's at 47.3 now!!

So when do bassets leave the 'puppy' stage???  Curie will be 2 on 3/20
and she's still a fireball ferret wannabe.  She's been with us 15 months
now and I don't think I can handle much more!!  Between her and Tesla
I'm going to go nuts.  Tesla will be 2 on 1/27 but she is slowing a bit,
just a little tiny bit, granted she is a dane mix and not a basset.  Now
that Curie's pano has finally resolved we are going to attempt to build
an agility course out in the yard and try to burn off that energy.  Try
being the key word here, digging holes to China for the last year and a
half hasn't helped.

Gus has decided he likes Kelvin and they lay out in the sun together
every morning now, which is a big deal since he hasn't let anyone
sunbathe with him since he got here last May.  I've been trying to get a
picture but the second I open the back door there is a stampede and they
decide to join it.

Sally and Schroeder are still looking for their very own forever home
and are tolerating us and the herd until that time.  Schroeder's
entropion surgery was a success, 2.5 months later he's able to see
everything and bark at everything without thinking it's going to jump
him.  Sally got her teeth cleaned and she able to eat a lot easier now.

Carmen