[Dailydrool] Drool for Tinkerbelle and for Cleo

Laura Salmon laurarsalmon at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 15:37:59 PST 2009

Brenda, I'm so sorry to hear of Tinkerbelle's diagnosis.  My neighbor's
golden died of mast cell cancer last year.  They opted for surgery to remove
the original tumor but, as I'm sure your vet told you, they often re-grow in
the same spot.  When Jake's did (and it was only a year later) he wasn't a
candidate for surgery -- he was a year older (at 12), and they had removed a
fair amount of muscle tissue in his leg with the first surgery.  My friends
decided they didn't want him crippled for what time he had left.  They were
able to greatly extend the quality and quantity of his life once he got his
"terminal" diagnosis using prednisone, which can sometimes push mast cell
cancer into remission.  They were able to keep him quite comfortable for
quite a while using that.  I know too when my Lisa was suffering from
arthritis a holistic vet I took her to was a huge proponent of grain-free
diets.  According to her, grain causes inflamation in dogs, so it would
stand to reason that if prednisone, an anti-inflammatory helps, that
eliminating other inflammatories from her diet would help as well.  Whatever
course you decide the bassets are slinging much drool for Tinkerbelle and
you're in my thoughts.  I hope whatever time you have left with her is
wonderful for you and for her, and I'm so very sorry.

Drool for Cleo that her dental and extractions went OK today, and no-worry
drool is being slung for Bill.  Laura (Geoffrey, Molly, Henry, Rosebud, Lisa
(ATB), Dub-Dub (ATB))