[Dailydrool] Cowboy the Caretaker

kacy green greenlikethecolor at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 16:10:39 PST 2009

Rupert has been limping for a couple days and I believe its another pano
flare-up (at least I hope thats all it is!)
We have some left-over rimadyl and tramadol so we are trying to keep him
pain-free using those sparingly.

Background: Rupert is always ATTACHED to my hip. Follows me everywhere and
tries to leave with me everytime I go anywhere. He also goes up to bed when
I do and hogs the bed 100%. If we're watching TV he barrels over the couch,
stepping on anyone in his way and then sprawls (or as we say, FLOPS) on the
lap of his choice.
Cowboy is independent of us and generally sleeps downstairs on the couch by
himself when we go to bed. If not, he's in our room on an armchair, but
never in our bed. (His choice, not ours)

So last night Rupert was obviously in pain, not following me but watching
from the center of the room. When we settled in to watch TV he just lay by
the couch, making no attempt to jump up on it with us. When we got up to
head to bed I lifted him onto the couch for comfort and covered him w/a
blanket, hoping he'd stay put and not try to make it upstairs. (He of
course, gave me the saddest eyes possible, but I finally left and headed up
to bed)

Cowboy followed us to bed (unusual) and whined non-stop as if to say "Hey
you forgot Rupert downstairs!"

Of course Ru wasn't content to stay downstairs alone so he eventually made
his way upstairs but flopped on the floor as soon as he made it up there. No
attempt to get in bed with us (very unusual).

I put down a blanket and got him situated. Then my perfect angel Cowboy
waddles over and cleans Rupert's eyes and ears then curls up next to him on
the blanket. It was the cutest display of affection between the two in a
long time. They fight like brothers most of the time, with Rupert
stealing Cowboys toys and treats, taunting one another, etc but it was nice
to see that when it really comes down to it, they truly do care for
eachother. Reminded me of Elder Clara and Brudder Elwood.

Cowboy is a total caretaker, he acted the same way after Rupert's foreign
object surgery. Too cute! I wonder if Rotten Rupert would do the same for
Cowboy....hmmm.

Drool to all,
Kacy w/Cow and Ru