[Dailydrool] Sweet Sarah's Excellent Adventure

Kay, Nancy K *HS NKK3U at hscmail.mcc.virginia.edu
Thu Jan 22 17:39:18 PST 2009

I got a call at work today, around noon, from DH Bill at home.  He said, "We have a problem here."  He was very definite but not panicking, and here's what my brain thought in the 3 seconds between what he said, and my registering enough to say "What!":   We had the garage door opener worked on yesterday, and my remote wouldn't work the big, heavy garage door this morning, so OMG, the door fell on Bill's car!  No, OMG, the door fell on Frank or Sarah! No, OMG, the door is stuck halfway and we'll have to spend another $200 to have them come out again!

I finally got out the "What!?!?"  and Bill said, "I can't find Sarah!" and I said, brilliantly, "What????!!"

He had been working in the yard, and had moved a bunch of stuff -- we're having a shed built, and Bill had to move all the c**p (lawn mower, leaf blower, fertililzer, spreader, bug spray, etc, etc) out of the way, and after a while, he realized Sarah wasn't there.  So he and Jack, our friend who's building the new shed, went looking for her.  After a good half an hour of checking the house, checking the yard, checking the woods, Bill called me and let me know.  Of course, I raced home, and made the 25-minute trip in 15 minutes.

Since Bill hadn't called my cell phone with any great news, I cruised our neighborhood before I headed for our house.  I went down the first street, looking up the driveways, in the back yards, in the runoff ditches, no Sarah.  I went down the next street, same, same, same, no Sarah.  I then saw our across-the-street neighbor, Sally Ann, walking as she does every day, with her baby carriage.  I rolled down my window, and Sally Ann said, "I'm looking for her, too!", so I knew Bill had talked to her.  (Sally Ann walks her 13-year-old Pekingese, Flower, in the baby carriage every day -- Sally wants the exercise and Flower can't make it very far -LOL!!)  I told her thanks, and drove on ahead.  In about another block, I see Jack and his stopped truck, and he's pointing toward the woods from the street, so I know he's found Sarah.  My first thought, since I couldn't see her, was OMG she got hit by a car and she's lying there!  My second thought, after Sarah heard my familiar car noise and then saw me and started baying and running toward me, was OMG Sarah's been found and she's basically OK !!!!  And she was fine.

She was a couple of blocks from home, smelled like swamp-water, was thirsty, and had been gone a couple of hours.  But she's fine.  Thank Goodness!  Bill thinks she bolted when he lifted a heavy aluminum ladder to put it up high on a metal shelf, and it made a giant bang!  She'd crossed a creek, and walked a long way, and she's fine.  Not bad for a 12-year-old nervous-nellie gal.  Thank doG!!

Nancy, and Sweet Sarah (still tired from all that roving), and Frank the Tank (who sniffed her up one side and down the other, all jealous of her adventure!)