[Dailydrool] Being guilt tripped into basset ownership

Paul Chinn paul.chinn at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 05:18:55 PST 2009

So I decided I wanted a dog a while back and after doing some research
decided I wanted a basset.  I searched around locally looking for just the
right dog and found a female who's current owners are moving and can't keep
her.  She's already fixed, house trained, crate trained and has some basic
obedience training (sit, stay, come, etc...).  They also have all her vet
records showing that she's current on her shots and has a clean bill of
health.  Plus they're only want a $50 rehoming fee and they're including her
crate as well.  She's laid back personality wise, is awesome with kids
(which is what I'm wanting) and somewhat of a couch potato (which is what I
am too).  She seems perfect.  Another friend of mine however saw a male
basset that was picked up as a stray by local animal control.  It's
currently at the local shelter that has a 75% kill rate.  She's trying to
guilt me in to taking this dog that I know absolutely nothing about just
because if I don't he's likely to be put down.  Plus, in his picture on-line
he looks like the saddest thing in the world.  Of course if I take him, then
the female has no home after they move and she could possibly end up in the
same shelter.  I, sadly, don't have the financial resources to take both.
Which one is better?  Or should I take the female I really like and ignore
the guilt trip?  I'd love to save every animal in the shelter, but I just
can't.