[Dailydrool] Sore Armpits

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Fri Jan 23 18:22:19 PST 2009

The black *yucky* stuff is a yeast infection.  You can clean some of the
yeast off with baby oil (or mineral oil) on a cotton pad by wiping gently.
When you get the black stuff off (or some of it off), the skin will be
really red underneath.  You need to gently wash it with a mild soap (I use
J&J Baby Shampoo if it is really raw) and water, rinse well and dry well.
Then, you can put Monistat cream on the skin twice a day.   You can also put
a cortisone cream on twice a day (not at the same time).  Once the skin is
not so inflamed, you can back off the creams to once a day.  You can also
use the Blue Ear Treatment solution (on a cotton pad) to wipe out armpits
and under chins to keep inflammation and irritation down.  The Gentian
violet is antibacterial but it does stain, so be prepared for a blue basset.
Also, you can give your dog some live acidophilus, either in the form of
yoghurt or the capsules.  I prefer the capsules because they are more
potent.  They can be purchased at a health food store, but be sure to get
the ones that have to be refrigerated because they are more effective.
Another thing you can get at a health store is Canula (or something like
that) lotion.  It is a soothing lotion that is used on humans who are
receiving radiation.  Hope this helps.

Sandi Wittenberg - Red Bay Bassets

sandi at redbaybassets.com