[Dailydrool] Today's Calendar Girl

Alison Becker ambecker10 at msn.com
Sat Jan 24 20:43:09 PST 2009

Well, my Lizzie is today's (Saturday.. .I meant to send this much earlier!) calendar girl. This picture was taken out on a kayak last summer.  While she does not like to swim, she really did have a good time out on the boat.

Lizzie has taught me a lot about courage. You may remember that Lizzie was the basset who was attacked by two pitbulls over Forth of July weekend. Even though there were two of them and they were much bigger and much meaner, Lizzie never gave up. Even after she was freed, she didn't run away, she stayed there barking while I was still dealing with it.  (so maybe she's taught me a little about stupidity as well!)  She was barely hurt in the attack, by the way and seems to have suffered no long-term effects from the incident. She did, however, get a super cute pink Lupine collar to replace her previous boring collar. She may be tough, but that's no reason not to also be a girly-girl!

She is a very sweet and gentle dog. But, she is also the most bark-y basset I have ever met.  She loves to lay on the back of the love seat and watch the world go by outside.  She KNOWS barking will not be tolerated. But, that does not stop her from emitting a progressively louder string of "oof"  "oof" until I say "that's enough, Lizzie."  On Halloween, I made her stay upstairs so as not to make the kids thing she was going to eat them.  However, there is a cat door in the stairway door, which is right off of the entryway. So, every time the doorbell would ring, Lizzie's head would pop out and the barking would begin.  It was actually quite the frightful sight to see a disembodied basset hound!

Lizzie came to me as a foster with GABR. She was really thin and sick with kennel cough when she arrived. I had never dealt with kennel cough before and was having a hard time getting her to eat.  So, it was recommended that I cook up some hamburger and brown rice for her. Which I then hand fed to her while she was on the sofa. Of course, being a basset, she only wanted the hamburger and bits o' rice went everywhere.  Being a person who does not cook for myself, I knew it was more than just foster love, that it was permanent love and adopted Lizzie.

It's not been an easy year for me.  I got divorced from my husband and just lost my job yesterday.  But, I look at Lizzie and see a dog who is so full of life and  so fearless.  Plus I see a dog who loves me for who I am.  I have learned a lot from her and I can't imagine my life without Lizzie and her brother Max.  They make it so I HAVE to get out of bed in the morning, whether I want to or not.

My ex-husband got the kayak in the divorce. But, I still look forward to many, many more memories with my Adventure Dog!  Thanks for letting me share.

Alison