[Dailydrool] Fishy Anal Glands?

BubbaDoggInc at aol.com BubbaDoggInc at aol.com
Sun Jan 25 20:27:33 PST 2009

Our Sweet Bubba, ATB, had anal gland problems from a young age. We were at
the vet almost every month or two to have them expressed. One time he even
developed an abscess from them. Finally, being a human's nurse, I decided that I
needed to learn to do this or go broke. My vet taught me how to do it, and
for Sweet Bubba's sake, I did. It was a nasty, smelly job but then the  doggy
felt better and the air was much more pleasant to breathe.

I don't believe a good poopie will clear up the problem if the glands are
clogged..... you may be in for a visit to the vet to have them manually
expressed. Don't stand downwind during this procedure. No amount of Vicks will  help
if you do.

Now around our house, the basset duties are divided as to medical or
non-medical. I medicate, care for the sickness, anal gland express, and stick my
hand down the throats to retrieve items. However, I don't clean up poop in the
yard, accidents in the house, messes of torn up items, or the damage from the
rumbles they get into sometimes. The DH has to do all this........ I guess it
is  a fair exchange???

Dottie

Mom to: "The "Ratboyz"

Rusty Simon (Waddle King 2007)