[Dailydrool] Hounds getting medication

dpmcquade at juno.com dpmcquade at juno.com
Mon Jan 26 05:38:27 PST 2009

<<Claude had knocked the "safe tub" off the table - I'm still not
sure how he reached it, as it was pushed so far back.>>

In my experience, NOTHING is pushed far enough back to escape a determined hound. Our Jane has had an incredible reach. We have a round table in our dining room, and she can easily reach to the center of it, when she has enough motivation. For example, our breakfast bowls, with remnants of oatmeal, will do the trick. She regularly lifts them off the table if we don't let her clean one off every morning. And she usually doesn't even drop the spoon.

I used to keep my medication in front of my place on the dining room table--until Jane decided to grab my bottle of blood pressure medication. There was no earthly reason why she should be interested in it. After all, it didn't smell like meat or anything else interesting, unless I'd had something tasty on my hands just before I handled the bottle the last time. I had to call the ASPCA poison hotline--and I've never left a medication on the table since then. Fortunately, she doesn't seem to show any more interest in anything I take, but I am not taking chances. (The ASPCA even had a writeup about her pill-snatching event in their newsletter!)

Hounds can bring new meaning to the word "stretch." Very little is actually out of reach for a hound who's following that high-tech basset nose. But ironically, not all bassets are even vaguely interested. Alexis and Abner never counter-cruised, and if Bel has done it a handful of times for something really interesting, I'd be surprised.
Pam, with Drew, food slave to the Dashing Basset noses