[Dailydrool] January 26th Calendar Hounds

Heather Lessely heather.lessely at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 27 08:50:57 PST 2009

January 26's calendar hounds were the Chicagoland Regional OEBE Headquarters' own Pw. Wendell W. Bottom (viceroy), and Bailey Mackenzie (Evil Enchantress)...
Wendell is my first hound - many of you have heard the story before - but I'll tell it again, briefly... My ex-husband and I were at a pet store to get crickets for the tarantuala on our first anniversary. I looked over for him, and there he was, in the puppy pen, with this squiggly, wrinkly, cute thing..... couldn't help it - happy anniversary Michael! Well, I had had dogs but not hounds before. Wendell made me crazy - he was the WORST puppy ever. I would get emails at work "from Wendell to Mommy" apologizing for things he did so I knew before I got home. I was seriously thinking of dropping him on the doorstep of a shelter and running.... then, on Thanksgiving, we went to Minneapolis for a Blackhawks game and spent some time in a Borders bookstore.... and there was "The Basset Hound Owners Survival Guide" (thanks Diane) complete with information that Wendell was "normal" for a hound and with a precious support line enclosed (i.e.:
www.dailydrool.com)... The rest is history.....
Bailey, my princess of princesses, is from Ohio Basset Rescue. I decided after my Kodi went to the bridge and we had to send our MaggieMoon (crazy, insane, nutjob girl) to the ranch (literally, the ranch, thanks every day for that Richlyn) that I wanted a girl hound and Wendell needed a play buddy (Probert doesn't play with the hounds). I saw a post from Eva that she had a litter and I was hooked.... on a different girl..... well, we got there and Michael fell in love with Bailey - I wanted a basset that looked very "bassety" and she looked like a beagle. She still does, kinda. She was an awkward looking puppy, unlike her littermates who were all very wrinkly and long eared and heavy footed.... I almost traded her for Sophie Jo, who we also took home with us in the car and who was picked up the next day at O'Hare airport by her new Mommy Monique from AZ..... (Hi Sophie, Hi Monique!)......but of course, I couldn't and she is my snuggly sweet lovey girl
now - who is more trouble than Wendell ever was....

My two dear hounds have been through so much with me - the death of "grandpaw" Moon, divorce, moving to CA (and the car accident that they were in with me) and moving back. And wrapping Sean, my wonderful boyfriend, around their little paws and making him a great hound slave.....
I love you guys!
Heather