[Dailydrool] Fw: Tears for Harvey

Melissa and Jo mibassetrescue at comcast.net
Thu Jan 29 16:07:19 PST 2009

Still in a state of shock as I type this. Our Harvey who JUST turned 6 is
dying. I
can't wrap my head around this. It's killing me. He seemed fine last night.
This morning I noticed his bum looked wet around his anus so I cleaned it
with baby wipes and noticed some blood and a very red place there. I
immediately started praying for an anal glad problem and called the vet.

To make a looong story short (we were seeing vets from 10 until 4 today)
Harvey's chest wall is one huge mass. The mass is pushing his windpipe way
over from where it should be. He is having some labored breathing.

We went through the gut wrenching decision of  letting him go today....
couldn't do it. He was telling me he wasn't ready. He's home now and he's
exhausted. Heck! A HEALTHY dog would be exhausted after going thru 6 hours
of vet testing, poking prodding and ultrasounds.

Just last night at dinner he was demanding some of my dinner and got it.
Just Sunday he RAN around with a new squeaky toy and killed the squeaker.
Just one month ago he took our usual 3 mile walk and came in the house
TEARING around with his VERY BEST FRIEND, Pearl. It REALLY pisses me off
that we haven't been able to walk since then due to FRIGID weather...(Harvey
LOVES his walks!!).

We had NO CLUE. I always felt Harvey was the healthiest basset on the planet
  He was SO HAPPY and FULL of himself! He had no allergies, no health issues
whatsoever....or so I thought.

God this is horrible. I don't know how I'm going to get through this one.
Please send prayers for our boy. CH Candyland Harvey Wallbanger

Love
Melissa and Jo