[Dailydrool] Thank You and Need Advice

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Fri Jan 30 20:58:53 PST 2009

Melissa -

I know right where you are with this.  We went through this when Jesse died
suddenly and Cash was mourning.  They were littermates and had never been
separated, even for a day.   At the time, Jesse and Cash were living with my
son, so we brought Cash back to my house to be with the other dogs.  Since
it was in the summer, he went with us to several dog shows.  After a couple
of weeks, I don't know if you remember, but we introduced Cash and Leonard,
but I think that was too soon and they didn't hit it off.  After about 6
weeks, we adopted a retired show dog whose owner had died.  At first Cash
and Morgan pretty much ignored each other, except on the full moon when they
had *issues*.  Within a couple of months, they were buddies and after 6
months, they were sleeping together.

My experience is that dogs have to mourn too.  Don't rush it with Pearl ---
she knows, but since dogs tend to live in the moment, every time they wake
up, they have to review the situation.  I gave Cash St. John's Wort - I
don't know that it helped but it didn't hurt.  What I think helped him the
most was routine and exercise.  We didn't move crates around, we kept the
same schedule, we took lots of walks and we talked to him a lot.   The
security and comfort of family and her pack will help Pearl the most I
think.  I would be a bit concerned that doggie day care or play group may be
overload for her right now.

Hugs and heart healing drool.

Sandi Wittenberg & The Red Bay Gang

Grady, Hoagie, Johnny, Norm & Opie