[Dailydrool] Thank You and Need Advice

Melissa and Jo mibassetrescue at comcast.net
Fri Jan 30 19:12:25 PST 2009

We want to thank everyone who sent condolences. Tonight we are feeling more
than sad....actually physically ill with grief.

We are also very very worried about our Pearl. You see, she and Harvey were
inseperable. They were soulmates. They went outside together, they played
beautifully together, they took walks together, they always slept together.
You rarely saw one without the other. We helped Harvey to The Bridge at home
today trying to make it easier for Harvey and obvious to Pearl and the
others that Harvey was gone. Tonight we're thinking our plan didn't work.
Pearl is confused and sad. She wakes up from napping and scents the air and
then goes looking for him. It is so hearbreaking to watch. There are still
two other male bassets here, but they don't have the tremendous bond that
she and Harvey shared. Adding another seems like  simple answer, but as we
all know, and we're sure Pearl feels the same way...Harvey can't be replaced

We are open to suggestions and shared experiences. We are sure that our
saddness isn't helping her but it just happened today so we are having a
hard time controlling that. Would it be wise to have her go to doggie day
care once or twice a week to play? (OH How They Played!!). Would that
confuse her even further or be a healthy distraction for her? Does
anti-anxiety medication help short term? Do we just suffer through this with
her and let time heal?? Will time heal??

We thought we'd start washing all dog beds/blankets/toys tomorrow to help
with having his scent not be so strong for her. What do you all think?

Thanks Again
Melissa and Jo (and Pearl)
Michigan Basset Rescue
100% Recycled Bassets