[Dailydrool] A little story about Mocha the Queen of the Kitties

Anita Woodrum a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 31 19:38:05 PST 2009

I know, Basset related - bear with me, it's not, but it surely is.

Mocha was the Queen of the Kitties at Our House, she died of cancer December
5th, she was 8-1/2 years old.  She had severe allergies and asthma her
entire life, so every 3 months we went to the Vet for her shot, which was a
combination of antibiotic, anti-inflammatory, and steroid.  I hated giving
Mocha the steroids and tried for years to find some other remedies that
would help her, and in the last two years I did find some things that helped
her go several weeks longer between shots, but we always ended up needing
the shot.  I knew that the steroids would slowly kill Mocha, and I'm sure
they definitely contributed to her getting cancer, but what do you do?  No
shots, then she would have had a miserable life and died of a lung
infection.  Give her the shots, and damage her liver and slowly destroy her
immune system.  We did the shots, and were blessed to have her with us for
8-1/2 very good years.

So the reason I bring this up is, in the last few months lots of people have
lost their hounds, or had sick hounds or other friends and family members,
and many were searching for suggestions or wondering if they were following
the right course of action.  It's important to ask questions and get
suggestions and try to find alternative treatments, I certainly did and
still do -- but to me the most important thing that you can do is always
make sure that your furry and human friends know that you love them.
Because life happens, and a lot of times, there simply are no good options.
You do the best you can, and you make sure they know that you love them.
And when the time comes, you let them go.      Hugs and prayers go out to
all of you who need them, tonight and always.

Anita Woodrum, almost Elder Gracie, Holly the Dolly, and all the Wicked
Kitties at Our House

 <mailto:a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net> a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net