[Dailydrool] Bessie

jmcarts at cox.net jmcarts at cox.net
Thu Jul 16 16:50:06 PDT 2009

Debbie, thank you for your kind words.  I can’t imagine life without Bessie; that was the best and most enjoyable 2500 miles I have ever driven (actually my friend drove most of the way).

Bessie has taught the other 3 dogs (2 seniors and 1 young basset) that they are not allowed in the kitchen when meals/bowls are being prepared and when Bessie speaks they listen.  She now weighs close to 60 pounds and is looking like a woman of her age should look – distinguished.  It still brings tears to my eyes when I see pictures of her when Droopy Basset Rescue saved her and she was nothing but skin and bones after being fed for 3 weeks at the Humane Society in Akron.

There is no better reward then adopting a senior and knowing that their last years are going to be filled with love, food, warmth, and a soft bed.  The best feeling is when you look into their eyes and that haunted worried look is gone.  Instead, you see a look of when’s my next meal or treat, the tail wagging and contentment.

Bessie, like Elder Clara, says ‘please open your home and heart to a senior’ - they ask for so little and give so much love in return and I as Bessie’s momma is the lucky one.

Please check the rescue sites as their are so many seniors needing a home.

Barbara Thulin
Gomer, Bessie, Roxie and Savannah