[Dailydrool] Thunder and Fireworks and big noises

AnitaW a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 4 10:59:21 PDT 2009

The Mama here with Gracie and Holly - the girls are not afraid of loud
noises, thank dawG - but my previous Dachshund, Mr. Gus (ATB), was terrified
of storms and lightning.  And in Texas you don't have rain, you have thunder
storms, huge ones, usually at night.  Bless his heart, Gus went into insane
frenzies and I tried everything I could think of to help including Benadryl
and Dramamine, nothing worked.  So I talked to the Vet and they gave me
Valium for him, it makes the dog sleepy but also is anti-anxiety.  If I knew
in advance a storm was on the way I'd give him some, it takes about half an
hour to start working, and if a storm snuck up on us, all I had to do was
keep him from hurting himself for half an hour.  You could actually see the
difference, one moment he'd be in a frenzy, and then all of a sudden it
would be like a switch was thrown, he'd usually sigh and suddenly get really
calm, settle down and usually go to sleep.  If you have dogs that get really
badly upset, I'd highly recommend the Valium, it was a blessing for poor
Gus.

Anita Woodrum

a.woodrum at sbcglobal.net