[Dailydrool] acepromazine

Marilyn Burns mj_burns at bellsouth.net
Mon Jul 6 06:59:20 PDT 2009

In answer to Debbie's question -- Oh, it's the ace!

When we first got Bob Burns (atb) he was a total basket case - the worst
reactions to thunderstorms and fireworks we had EVER seen.  For our first
July 4th together, our vet gave us acepromazine to help - I can't swear what
dosage was prescribed but I know it was high - like 50 mg.

Poor guy, we gave him the ace - well in advance of the fireworks.  What a
disaster!  He got as stressed from the ace as he ever had gotten from the
noise.  Reason:  he was "high as a kite"  - and had no idea what was causing
it!  It was borderline comical - as he would take two steps forward and one
to the side and then fall down.  It looked like he had guzzled a fifth of
scotch!  But it really broke our hearts with that "Mommy Make It Stop -
look" of total fear!  There wasn't anything we could do but hold him and try
to calm him down until it wore off - hours later.

We vowed NEVER to give it to him again - but rescinded that because of the
Y2K (2000) celebrations that were coming up.  This time, however, I decided
to cut the dosage WAY down - I think it was like a half a pill.  It proved
to work extremely well.  He was aware of the fireworks and all - and wasn't
totally calm -- but he was chilled out enough to not "stroke out".

I discussed it with our vet and he explained that - just like people - every
animal has a different level of saturation.  I guess Bob was just a "cheap
drunk"!  We continued to give him the mini-dose of ace during expected
thunder or fireworks.  We even were able to get the smaller dosage pill from
the vet.

Marilyn - loving Mom of Amanda Lynn and Bridgemates Samantha Sue and Bob
Burns