[Dailydrool] It has happened sadly

Drew McQuade dpmcquade at verizon.net
Tue Jul 7 07:50:26 PDT 2009

Don't kid yourself. An eight-year-old hound has plenty of vim and vigor
left--and hopefully lots of years, too.

Our youngest is about eight now. We don't know just when Abner was born, but
my vet didn't think he was older than that. Even if he is, what does it
matter? As many years as we get, we will make them all memorable.

Jane and Bel are twelve. Sure, they need help to get on the bed. Jane's
heart doesn't let her take long walks anymore. But they can still get into
some trouble, and they hand out love like nobody else.

A senior hound is a wonderful hound. We hope they live for years and years.
But they have many special qualities, too:

They know house rules (and when to break them).
They understand just when we need love.
They fit well into our couches, chairs, and the rest of our furniture.
They fit us just like old shoes, knowing our quirks and suiting our favorite
ways of doing things.
They know just how to amuse and entertain us, when we need it.

I'm sure others can add a long list of things to these. But long story
short, a senior is made to be loved, treasured, and appreciated. And you may
not even have to worry about a lot of counter cruising and other
misbehavior. Seniors are super! What does a bit of gray fur matter?
Pam, with Drew, catering to the Dashing Bassets