[Dailydrool] Shorty is at the Bridge

Donna Potter uriramfan at cox.net
Tue Jul 7 14:15:49 PDT 2009

I just rejoined the list a couple of months ago, although I was a Drooler for a number of years until AOL started bouncing my Drools and I had to leave the list. I am now on Cox so I am back but mostly lurking.. I don't know if anyone is left who remembers when I adopted a 7 month old rescue named Shorty in 1997 (I found out about Basset Rescue via the Drool and that is how I got Shorty.)
Anyway, Shorty had been failing recently and Sunday he could not move his legs at all. He has been incontinent and was in pain when I tried to help him move. We sent him to the bridge this afternoon. The vet came to my house, and my brother came over for moral support. Shorty died very peacefully and I know he is now at the Bridge with Brandy, my first houndie.
I have been crying for two days but I was calm during the procedure and right now I am just wiped out. Shorty was with me for 12 years, 3 months and 21 days and he was my Baby Boy. He was a wuss in every sense of the word - but would bark, growl and carry on like a lion to scare people. he always reminder me of the Cowardly Lion. He loved tummy rubs and hound hikes as well as an occasional piece of steak to celebrate birthdays and gotcha days. He did not care for cats, although I was told by the person who gave them up that he loved them. My cat Stinkie was often chased into the basement by Shorty and I really think Shorty liked cats the same way Alf did.
He was a very big boy - 85 pounds of beautiful red and white houndie in his youth, although he has lost weight as he aged. I was very sick a few years ago with cellulitis and he and Brandy stayed right by my side during my recovery. When Dad died I cuddled up with Shorty and the hound I rescued in 2003, Rollie.
Shorty is survived by Rollie and one cat, Cleo, as well as his Mom who loved him to pieces and will always carry wonderful memories of a beautiful Baby Boy.
Smiling through my tears as I remember my Shorty Boy, Donna in RI