[Dailydrool] Sampson update

Opal-Deitering, Gaylene gaylene at umich.edu
Wed Jul 8 12:39:15 PDT 2009

So by now some of you have written me about our rescue Pom-a-wa-wa (Pomeranian/Chihuahua) Sampson.  He is such a joy to have around!  Just think of a moving dust bunny with teeth, and you will picture him perfectly.  Every day he accompanies me out to feed the chickens, and as I pick weeds for them to eat, he also starts grabbing weeds to carry over.  I do think that he is more interested in the game of killing the giant weeds, but it is really funny to see him carry something over to the chickens.

Sampson's latest trick is to push through the tiny hole in the "Big-dog" kennel, where Rocky, Arthur, and Channy spend their day.  It is pretty funny to watch him go into the hole, because suddenly there are 3 giant heads and noses pushing him back through the hole as they snuff him in greeting.  Sometimes it takes him multiple tries to get through the hole because they are so happy to see him that he gets blocked from entering.  This guy is so small that he can walk under the bassets! He is less than 4 pounds, and they are all over 50.  Then he plays with the 3 of them, occasionally cuddling up to rest in a hole they have dug.  Rocky will go down into his Play Bow to invite Sammy to play, Channy will play growl and shake her head and let him jump on her, Arthur will play tag.  Sammy bites ears and jowls and rumps and jumps on them and dodges them and chases them. Channy occasionally has taken the big boys to task when they have been too rough, or interfered with her play time.

Go back to childhood and envision the story of "Where the Wild Things Are".  Max the naughty boy in his wolf suit gets sent to his room for sassing his mother.  Then he sails to a magical island where the Wild Things live.  They gnash their terrible teeth, and roll their terrible eyes, and growl their terrible growls, and threaten to eat Max, but Max gnashes HIS teeth, and rolls HIS eyes and growls HIS growl, and they are so impressed that they crown him KING of the wild things.  This could be the story of Sampson!  He is now KING OF THE WILD THINGS!  At least until he decides that he needs to come back into the house and check on his Mommy to make sure that all the things in his real world are in order.  When that happens, he dodges back through the little hole, into the house, runs and gets a drink, then finds me to tell me of his adventure and make sure that I am still here.  He is usually wet and dirty when he comes in, from slobber or dew on the grass or whatever, so instead of wasting the effort to bath him totally, I just wipe him down with a wet cloth so that I can snuggle him.  He will get a bath before going to MIL's house on the 14th.  We are really going to miss him, but 7 dogs is just too many especially if he has somewhere else to go!  If something happens to MIL and she can't keep him, he will always be welcome here, so we never have to fear for him.
Thanks for all the inquires!

Gaylene Opal-Deitering
My passions do not replace my relationship with God, but are instead a reflection of it!