[Dailydrool] Sleepless nights

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Thu Jul 9 04:59:47 PDT 2009

Jackie,

I think you have several things going on..

first ... getting comfortable ... not always easy for any hound.. you've no
doubt seen the "circle your tail 15 times then down" maneuver ... and then
there are times that they get there, and then want to stretch, and have to
repeat the circle again..

... but the more tired a hound, the less likely they are to be restless.. so
that "last wee of the night" .... what about putting some teeth to it... go
for walkies 30 mins or so or a good deal of play till Barnaby starts to
tire.. and thus.. a tired hound is a good hound and more likely to chase his
tail once, and settle well for the rest of the night..

Second .. keep in mind Bassets are generally more pack oriented ... and
getting up on the bed is a sign of leadership ... and when another hound is
up there, its either a challenge or a "you best not come this close to me or
there'll be a fight ... you should usually hear grumbles when the invasion
of space becomes an issue.  Those in the lower pecking order generally tend
to be ok ... but if the two you have, are not both on the same level (in the
pack) then you could be in for a little more trouble..

Plus then there's the room to consider.. two humans two hounds? ... not as
easy as 1 human and 2 hounds, or 1 and 3 (as in my situation) :)

Next ... what about doggie doors?  are they an option for you?  Even if you
have to go out and buy a new door ... I did ... it was one of the solid
exterior doors, el-cheap-o at 65 dollars, I then cut a window space for it
... ordered sauna glass (yup, the kind of glass used for Sauna windows, and
cheaper on average than a pane of regular insulated glass) and put that
in... along with the doggie door ... and thus my rental homes' door is now
in storage for when I move out..

And last ... in the bedroom.. what about specific sleeping areas for the
hounds?  perhaps crate training in the bedroom and then after they are both
trained for cages ... leaving the cages open, so they get the freedom any
good houndie deserves..

:-)

Hopefully you two will figure out how to stay together and not peeve the
significant other  ;-)

-Robert

  _____

Subject: [Dailydrool] Sleepless nights

All is quiet with Barnaby downstairs in the hall but around 2:30 in the
morning starts to howl and howl - we wake of course - I let him out - and as
I'm half asleep leave the door to upstairs ajar he leaps upstairs to the
bedroom.