[Dailydrool] Fans on Dogs

surferdogs at comcast.net surferdogs at comcast.net
Thu Jul 9 15:37:26 PDT 2009

If the air temperature is less than body temp (about 101 degrees in dogs) you will also get some convection cooling, which would benefit the hounds. As the body warms the adjacent air, the fan moves it away and replaces it with the cooler air allowing the body to dissipate heat. Evaporative cooling is more efficient since the specific heat of water is much higher than that of air, but this will help. And you can wet the hound's fur, which will then evaporate with the fan and help cool the dog. Especially if you wet the ears, since the high vascularity will cool the blood faster. This is the theory behind the various cool cloths, wraps and beds that are saturated in water, then cool the dog or person as the water evaporates and they dry out.

Here in New Hampshire, we are just hoping for two sunny, warm days in a row.

Drool to all who need it - we have a nasty GI bug rolling through everyone with puking and diarrhea for about 48 hrs. I feel like I live in a toilet and am getting really tired of cleaning up....

Synthia, so many bellies to rub, so little time
Bud, Barney, Zuma, Kahuna, Pearl, Mango
Ace (I weighed a svelte 178 lbs at the vet this week!), Maya, Sage, Kirby