[Dailydrool] dog memories

Aryeh Meir ameir at shaw.ca
Sat Jul 11 16:58:01 PDT 2009

my understanding of dog memories is that dogs have what is called
'associative memory'
ie when presented with a stimulus that they seen/had before then they
will remember it.  otherwise they don't remember as humans do

so that why dogs can do tricks, not like people in baseball caps, or
freak out under certain circumstances.

so present dogs with certain stimuli and they will in react in a certain way.

in addition to 'real' memory,  humans also have associative
memory  ie if we smell a rose or see a sunset that a memory  linked
to that experience will hit us 'out of the blue.'