[Dailydrool] Dog Memories

erusselburg2 at aol.com erusselburg2 at aol.com
Sun Jul 12 05:20:27 PDT 2009

Hello all, I've been mostly lurking lately and have not been on the DD for a while.? The string about dog memories of the past is interesting.? All of us have seen what clearly looks like memory/learning from our hounds.? Anyone who does rescue can verify that dogs remember abuse and usually something about the abuser (it was a man, wore a hat, used a stick, etc).? Years ago I got a dog back after a divorce situation.? She had been my ex's dog and had her CDX, so they were very bonded.? I can tell you that to the day she died, KaySee would "alert" to a maroon pickup truck, always watching for her daddy-dog to return.? The first time I noticed her do it, it made me sad for her.
??? What I wanted to add was that I don't believe dogs have the same concept of time passing as we do.? In other words if you left them in a boarding kennel, one week or 6 months feels the same to them.? Of course?I mean once they are reunited with you, that difference is not as clear in the dog's mind as it would be for us.?That;s why, sometimes, it's harder on us than on them!
Hope this makes sense.
Edy
Ironwood Hounds