[Dailydrool] Dog Memories

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sun Jul 12 07:35:25 PDT 2009

When my dad was dying of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, my mother
found a Jack Russell Terror, Daisy, for him. Dad was a huge fan of
the PBS show Wishbone and of Ruby, a JRT who lived down the street.
He thought they were "nice little dogs" and had wanted a JRT for
ages. Mum did not want a dog, she calls dogs a ball and chain. But
she wanted Dad's last months to be happy ones, and the hope was that
if he had a "nice little dog" to live for, he'd perhaps live a bit
longer. My parents were in no way suitable people for that breed, and
especially one that came from a questionable rescue, but that's a
gripe for another time.

Daisy seemed to know that her job was to be with Dad during the day.
She'd lie quietly on his lap until he went to bed about 7pm or so.
Then she seemed to know that she was off duty and free to be who she
really was, which was a wild, untrained dog. It was like seeing a
switch being flipped, the way her behavior changed after Dad was in bed.

Towards the end, Dad was in and out of the hospital. He'd go in for a
few days with potassium deficiency or some other problem, and then
come home again to Daisy. But one day he went to the hospital and
never came back. I regret that Daisy was never allowed to see Dad's
body, but he went straight from the hospital (no dogs allowed) to the
crematorium, so I don't think it was an option.

Life settled down again (relatively speaking), and Mum walked Daisy
several times a day (no fenced-in yard) around the neighborhood. She
said that every time Daisy saw a stout, older man with short white
hair (i.e., a man who looked like Dad) coming toward her on the
sidewalk or even across the street, she'd get very excited and wiggle-
waggly. Then the man would get closer and Daisy could see it wasn't
Dad, and she'd visibly droop and look so disappointed that it made my
mother feel even more sad. I find Daisy's looking for Dad on the
street interesting because Dad was pretty far gone by the time Daisy
arrived, so she really didn't get much chance to see him in street
clothes walking on sidewalks. But apparently she kept looking for at
least two years after Dad died. Mum thinks she stopped because even a
dog reaches a point of realizing that someone really is gone and
isn't coming back. When a behavior isn't positively rewarded, after
awhile it stops.

To make this basset related, our late Jane Basset was with us when we
made that fast, but not unexpected, trip from Indiana back to Philly
at Dad's end. Jane tolerated Daisy but wasn't especially thrilled by
her presence. By that point, Jane was about six or seven and
beginning her decline into poor health, while Daisy was an overly
excited two-year-old. Dad thought Jane was a "nice dog" but she
wasn't "little" and ergo couldn't sleep on his lap. It's a shame he's
missed out on young Charlie, who's the perfect size for laps and
doesn't hesitate to climb onto them if he thinks he'd be even
remotely welcome. I'll bet Charlie would've been delighted to keep
Dad company on his recliner.

Elizabeth