[Dailydrool] what temperature is ok for dogs

Reed and Becky Pomeroy rebec at execpc.com
Mon Jul 13 12:39:23 PDT 2009

We live in roughly the same climate at Nigel 'n' Lewis 'n' Cnly 'n' Mr.
CooperSir.  It can get into the 100's here on a bad day and it is
often over 85.  We don't have air conditioning except in the hoomans
bedroom and the houndage all manage fine with fans.  Our house is
well shaded and the houndage's outside area is all shade after about 11:00
am.  They have box fans  inside as well.  If the weather
gets really really nasty we will freeze water in the 5 qt. ice cream
buckets and then put the gigantic ice cube down for the dogs in a cake pan
and they can lick on it or sleep on it or whatever.  Or we dump ice
cubes in their water buckets.  They survive just fine, even the hairy
one (she's an otterhound).

IF I am traveling with hounds, I am
very careful to keep them as cool as possible.  the van is air
conditioned so when we are moving they are happy as clams.  (How do
people know clams are happy??)  If it's really hot out, they get ice
cubes in their 2 quart metal water buckets in their crates, which gives
them something cool to lick and the metal radiates cool also.  If we
are parked, like at a show and it's really really hot, I might put wet
towels in the bottom of their crates, and we have battery operated fans on
each crate.  The van doors are all open and we have a big silver mesh
shade tarp that we drape over the back doors that drops the temperature
about 10 degrees in the back of the van.  In a pinch, I spray the
dogs frequently with cool water.  If we lived in a hotter climate I
might invest in the cool beds that you can fill with ice cubes, but the
are pretty pricey and the houndage manages without them.

crazy
basset lady
(Gee says "Me 'n' Crazy were just fine in the van
all weekend at the show and at the motel.  Mom put ice inour buckets
and the big silver thing over us and we laid on our backs and
snoozed.  And guess what???!!!  We got to meet CONLEY!!!)
MAKE DROOL NOT WAR

Please take time to visit these websites:

Rebec Bassets at
www.rebecbassets.com
Basset Buddies
Rescue, Inc. at www.bbrescue.org