[Dailydrool] For Those In Areas Where Bassets Are Hard To Find

savethebassets at yahoo.com savethebassets at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 13 18:22:16 PDT 2009

One of the hardest parts of rescue is when we get a plea in and we cannot help.  In this case, there is a gorgeous, senior basset girl in central Alabama that a shelter volunteer cared enough to send a plea out to neighboring states because the Alabama rescues cannot take her.  Please consider opening your heart and your home to this stunningly beautiful girl that certainly deserves to live out her life with love and kindness.  Considering the wonderful experience that our rescue had with the Pilots N Paws organization, transportation should not be as much of a problem as before.  Contact the shelter right away if you are interested in giving this girl a home.  Read on about Buttermilk.

Ms. Farris,

I know that your rescue group focuses on bassets in Florida. However, I am desperately trying to help a senior basset at our shelter in Auburn, AL (Lee County Humane Society), and we would get her as far into Florida as we could for you if you could take her. We have a senior female basset, about 10 years old, that has just come in as a stray. She hasn't been claimed and because of her age and skin condition, she won't be a candidate for adoption. I'm a volunteer with a huge soft spot for bassets and old dogs, and I'm hoping I can get her into rescue. She is just a love, and I feel she still has some good years left in her. She is heartworm negative. We can't really tell if she's been spayed since we know nothing of her background.

Her skin looks pink and irritated, and I'm pretty sure it's an untreated flea allergy, as she's covered with fleas and flea dirt. Her eyes are a bit gummy, and she has a couple of old dog lumps that look like the typical fatty tissues that usually crop up on older dogs. I think with a good diet, fish oil, and some oatmeal baths, her skin would clear up just fine, and she'd be a fine-looking older basset hound. She seems to be housetrained, as I've never seen her mess up her kennel. She's been vaccinated for parvo, distemper, and kennel cough, and she was dosed with Revolution in hopes that would help her skin. Again, I think this is a flea allergy that's been neglected. She doesn't have any kind of mange smell at all. It just looks like typical allergies to me.

We've named her Buttermilk because of her coloring. If you take her, maybe we could check into the Pilots for Paws program or something like that to get her down there. Thanks so much for considering her and for helping bassets. I love this breed so much, and I think they age beautifully.

Regards,
Karen Gaston
Volunteer
Lee County Humane Society