[Dailydrool] Kelvin update and a bit from the herd

Carmen Kraus kdbeads at verizon.net
Tue Jul 14 20:42:31 PDT 2009

Kelvin's BUN was a little higher yesterday when it was tested but his
creatinine was lower than it has been.  He's decided that he really
doesn't like the k/d that much so I'm making his food now, so far so
good.  He's only had one anorexic day so far in the past month as
opposed to his normal weekly anorexic days.  He still doesn't like the
Standard Process supplements but we are keeping him on them.  He's back
to being a basset hound again, counter surfing and trying to steal
food.  Took Tesla's massive bone today, couldn't resist getting a shot
of that before I had to take it away from him:
http://krausdesigns.com/images/Dogs/DSCF4007a.JPG
My parents came down last week for the first time ever and I learned
something new about my mom, she's terrified of 'big' dogs.  And Kelvin
LOVED her.  Every time he got close to her she'd inch away as best she
could especially when he was drooling.  So for most of the week the rest
of the herd stayed outside while they were at the house, I refused to
leave Kelvin outside.  Which in turn upset Tesla's routine and she
stopped eating (this is the dane mix).  Dropped 5 pounds so far and we
are desperately trying to get food in her again so that we don't have a
20 pound loss incident like we did spring of 2008.  Dealing with this
type of anxiety will be the death of me I'm sure.  Did manage to get
some chicken treats into her today but if she's not back on her feed by
Thursday it's a vet visit and possibly a new anxiety med.
While my parents were here I got to babysit their 6 pound, 4.5 month old
dust mop..... hmmm.... I mean shih-tzu.  The cats had a blast with him
but he scared Kelvin enough to where he didn't leave the couch unless we
pulled him off ourselves.  Had him almost fully potty trained before
they left, they have been trying to do this since the got him with no
success.  Had to teach them the ins and outs of dealing with dogs.
Gus looks as if he's lost a bit of weight on his dreaded diet this
month, hopefully that will keep on going.  Schroeder and Curie are now
waiting for me on the squash side of my garden fence when I'm working,
waiting for any tid-bits I throw over.  My crookneck squash are a hit
and miss this year, about half are heat setting before they are big
enough to pull so I've been tossing them over to the dogs who wait
eagerly.... for veggies!
Sally has developed another yeast infection in her skin with all these
100+ degree days and she's terrified of having a bath, or a rinse or
anything so we've had to fight her into the tub every week to give her a
bath.  Looks better but until the heat lets up she'll be a bit itchy.
And with all the dust her eyes are bothering her so the vet and I are
considering having them removed, which shouldn't bother her at all since
she's been blind for 3 years now.  Doing so would give her relief from
the constant matting and scratching.  We haven't decided yet though.

That's the update for now...
Carmen and herd